Re: RFC: import of posix_spawn GSoC results

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 02:34:22PM +0000, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> i haven't explored either.

Ok, I will give it a closer look (but that will take a few days).

> well, i confess that i don't understand why in-kernel implementation is
> desirable in the first place.

I don't know what alternatives you consider better - IMHO the in kernel
version is way smaller, minimal slightly more efficient, and a lot more
elegant than any vfork based hack I could think of. Besides, I wouldn't
know how to do all the dirty libpthread changes to make that thread
safe.

> i don't like having the lwp argument because they generally don't work for
> non-curlwp.  l_dupfd, "single threaded" optimization, ...

I see the first point (but it is ok in this usage, maybe needs a few warning
comments here and there). I'm not confinced it falls into the same categories
as the other points ;-)

Anyway, I will check if we can avoid it - this would make the overall
change far less intrusive, which is always a plus.

Martin