Re: RFC: import of posix_spawn GSoC results

> From the annals of the POSIX wars:  the rationale for posix_spawn()
> was to support systems without MMUs, where fork() is expensive, and
> vfork() impossible.

I would quibble with calling vfork() `impossible'.  Perhaps I'm missing
osmehting, but vfork() seems particularly well-suited to such a system
to me - the "borrow the VM" semantics strike me as exactly what you
want when context-switching is expensive.  (Though of course the `V' of
`VM' is a bit of a misnomer in that circumstance.)

In any case, even if I'm wrong, vfork isn't impossible, just, at worst,
ludicrously expensive. :-)

\ / Ribbon Campaign