Re: add DIAGNOSTIC back to GENERIC/INSTALL

On Jun 16, 2011, at 3:29 36AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Hello,
> for the second time (at last) a kernel issue raised the question of
> adding back 'options DIAGNOSTIC' to GENERIC/INSTALL kernels in HEAD.
> Several people agreed tha this would be a good thing.

Good idea.  (I'm reminded of a comment, I think by Hoare,
that I saw many years ago; unfortunately, I was not able to
find it recently when I looked.  Briefly, he likened using
array bounds checking during debugging but turning it off
in production code to sailors practicing on shore wearing
life preservers but leaving them home when they went to sea.)