Re: sys/dev/isa/fd.c FDUNIT/FDTYPE

On Sep 25, 11:29pm, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
}
} > } FDUNIT and FDTYPE are calculated from device minor using the
} > } hardcoded DEV/MOD number, as MI DISKUNIT and DISKPART for harddrives.
} > } __HAVE_OLD_DISKLABEL was introduced to add magics in MD DISKUINT()
} > } and DISKPART() macro to avoid renumbering existing old device minors
} > } on MAXPARTITION bump.
} > } Current MI MAKEDEV.tmpl treats floppy device minors as harddrives.
} >
} >      Again, I don't see your point.  You're talking about a major bug
} > in MAKEDEV where it treats floppy drives the same as hard drives.  They
} > aren't the same and the letters in the "unit number" don't have the
} > same meaning.
}
} If we "fix" kernels to use DISKUNIT() and DISKPART() macro

     The kernels aren't broken and don't need fixing.

} for FDUNIT() and FDTYPE(), we can bump a number of fd types
} to MAXPARTITIONS with no further changes.

     Floppies don't use partitions, so I don't see what MAXPARTITIONS
has to do with anything.

} Nothing needs to be done by users in that case.

     Nothing needs to be done by most users if we fix MAKEDEV.

} I thought it was acceptable workaround because paying extra costs

     It's a hack to workaround a broken MAKEDEV.  It's a rather bad
practice to introduce hacks to work around other broken code, when the
other broken code could just as easily be fixed.

} against correctness of such obsolete device was worthless and
} we had much more important problems on modern devices.

     Just because some people might consider a device to be obsolete is
no reason to not strive for correctness.

}-- End of excerpt from Izumi Tsutsui