RE: Debugging threaded processes -- ptrace proposal

> On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 11:36:37AM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:
> >
> > Once the necessary NetBSD changes are adopted, I will submit my GDB
> > changes to the FSF.  That will enable debugging of threaded
> > applications; among other things that will take care of PR
bin/30756.

> I finally looked at the kernel changes.  They look fine to me, and are
> reasonably simple.  But someone more familiar either with the ptrace
> or LWP machinery probably ought to look.  Maybe you should ask
> core%netbsd.org@localhost?

Done.  I guess that isn't a mailing list?  It doesn't show up on
www.netbsd.org.

> You say you did the debugger side of this for GDB 7.0.  GDB 7 is
GPLv3,
> isn't it?  Is there any chance you could implement thread support for
> the older version of GDB currently in the NetBSD tree?

I haven't looked.  My intent was to contribute it to the FSF, which
means I had to work against the latest GDB.

I know NetBSD lags the FSF releases, but are you saying that NetBSD is
not going to the current GDB at all?  Yes, GDB 7.0 is GPLv3.  Is that an
issue?  GDB is one thing, but GCC is also now GPLv3.   Sticking with an
older version of GCC at some point will become untenable...

It's probably not all that big a job to backport my change to GDB 6.x.
For that matter, anyone else can do that once I contribute the change to
the current GDB.

        paul