RE: Debugging threaded processes -- ptrace proposal

I have finished the work on ptrace() and on GDB using it.  The result is
successful debugging of threaded applications, including functions such
as stepping a chosen thread which was not previously possible.

I just submitted PR kern/43128 with a description of what is needed and
a patch that contains the ptrace work I have done.  I'll attach that
patch here as well.  I would like this patch to be adopted into NetBSD.
Alternatively, if a different approach is preferred, that is fine by me,
so long as it too provides the minimum required services that GDB needs
to work.

Once the necessary NetBSD changes are adopted, I will submit my GDB
changes to the FSF.  That will enable debugging of threaded
applications; among other things that will take care of PR bin/30756.

        paul