Re: Include spdmem(4) in GENERIC amd64 & i386 kernels?

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 17:37:15 -0500
Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

Ahh, we already had this flame war^W^Wdiscussion on port-sparc64. ;-)

> > With the way macppc does it every port needs its own attachment
> > glue through a MD i2c bus. Thus duplicating this attachment glue
> > code over and over again for every port.
> This is simply not true.
But how else would you do it? If we wanted to suport direct
configuration of i2c devices on sparc64 like on macppc, we would need
to add a, say, si2c bus to sparc64. Just like ki2c on macppc. Thus
resulting in a specialized, sparc64 MD si2c bus attachment.

Or do you mean: Add a MI directly configured i2c bus, say di2c and
argument it by a single MD scan function? (As firmware scanning is
inherently MD.)

Maybe you could provide an example implementation for sparc64 to
clearify things.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen