Include spdmem(4) in GENERIC amd64 & i386 kernels?

I've had a couple people suggest that maybe we ought to include the spdmem(4) in GENERIC kernels, at least for amd64 and i386. (It's already included in macppc, IIRC.)

The driver doesn't do much, and other than providing EEPROM data via a
sysctl(8) variable, it does nothing once the machine is booted. But it's a small driver and adds only about 6KB to the kernel. Having the EEPROM data available enables you to run the decode-dimms utility (from lm-sensors), which runs right out of the box. The spdmem(4) driver does provide one item of functionality that decode-dimms does not yet have: it knows how to read the EEPROM data for DDR3 memory.

Are there any objections to adding it to -current? Any strong feelings either way about pulling it up and adding it to -5.0?

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |