Re: Final remote(4) / remote(9) API proposal

Robert Elz wrote:
I'd however prefer a single path between the kernel and the daemon,
providing events from all the different kinds of application control
devices that might exist, and then translating those inputs into
events and handing them off to consumers.   The kernel drivers would
take the raw input from the different devices, talking whatever protocol
is needed to fetch that, and translate that into a common data stream
into the daemon.   In that context, "remote" is perhaps too specific.

I would love to have an all-encompassing kernel->user API as well. However, this thread has been a distraction from the real work I'm doing, so I will drop my proposal and use the existing (currently unused) /dev/cir interface to deliver the raw bytestream to userland. My driver can be adapted later when somebody else actually implements such an API.

Jared