Re: Setting TERM in single user mode

On 6-Oct-08, at 9:23 PM, Geoff Wing wrote:

On Monday 2008-10-06 12:14 -0400, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. output:
Strictly speaking "console" should be _removed_ from /etc/ttys. It is (now) always the wrong device to run getty on. A "constty" entry is the
only correct way to properly access the system console TTY device.

It still has meaning for single user mode.  See init(8):

I patched my copy of init.c to call getttynam("constty") a long time ago....

It's sad that David's enhancements to the console driver to provide this device that avoids so many problems with the old unified /dev/ console has gone ignored and under-utilized in the official source tree.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>