Re: Setting TERM in single user mode

On 6-Oct-08, at 11:55 AM, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, David Brownlee wrote:
         - Add 'constty' to /etc/ttys with the same value as 'console'

There's already confusion of ttyE0 vs. console in /etc/ttys on some ports. I fear adding another entry won't help unless the usage is more clear ("su-console"?).

Strictly speaking "console" should be _removed_ from /etc/ttys. It is (now) always the wrong device to run getty on. A "constty" entry is the only correct way to properly access the system console TTY device.

Some time ago I added a comment to myself to my source tree suggesting that maybe /dev/ttyE0 should always be reserved for XDM (instead of ttyE7 or whatever), and that way it would be turned off in ttys by default and would not ever accidentally collide with /dev/constty when constty happens to be redirected to wscons. To make it transparent and easy for users some script during multiuser boot might help switch wscons to the first available and configured and working ttyE* device though (if XDM isn't running, that is).

(someone should update the */cons(4) manual pages to mention constty though I guess)

Else... why not use the TERM variable from console? I'd assume single user mode runs on the console.

That's what the call to 'tset' in /.profile will do, assuming the command is available in the mounted filesystem(s).

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>