Re: Removing softdep

  On the server of the small society I work for, I've noted random
  crashes from time to time, without being able to get any useful trace
  messages. Setting /usr to read-only seems to fix the issue (the hard
  disk is brand new).

  I wonder if this is not caused by SOFTDEPS. If it is the case, is it
  safe to disable the option from the kernel and go back to a "bare"
  filesystem?

Your problem does not sound to me like a softdep problem, but it's hard
to know.

softdep does not change on-disk format.  Just take softdep out of
/etc/fstab and reboot.