Re: Removing softdep

Andrew,

That would be unacceptable. The file system format won't change at all.  I
don't know what Simon has planned for the journal but I like how Solaris
handles the journal. My limited understanding of it is:

On the server of the small society I work for, I've noted random crashes from time to time, without being able to get any useful trace messages. Setting /usr to read-only seems to fix the issue (the hard disk is brand new).

I wonder if this is not caused by SOFTDEPS. If it is the case, is it safe to disable the option from the kernel and go back to a "bare" filesystem?

Thanks,
Vincent