Re: Removing softdep

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008, Andrew Doran wrote:
> Over the last year I spent quite a lot of time working on ffs and softdep.
> With softdep there are many remaining deadlock conditions and bugs that we
> know about, and it's very likely there are more to be discovered. I also
> know from experience that softdep on NetBSD does not fulfill its data
> integrity promises.

softdep on FreeBSD seems to work fine, offering much better performance
than ffs without softdep (e.g. "rm -rf bigtree" is very fast), and it
seems stable.  I don't know why softdep on NetBSD doesn't work (I have
tried it a few times over the years and always been unhappy), but I
don't object to removing it.

--apb (Alan Barrett)