Re: Removing softdep

apb%cequrux.com@localhost (Alan Barrett) writes:

>softdep on FreeBSD seems to work fine, offering much better performance
>than ffs without softdep (e.g. "rm -rf bigtree" is very fast), and it
>seems stable.

So does softdep on NetBSD.

>I don't know why softdep on NetBSD doesn't work (I have
>tried it a few times over the years and always been unhappy),

It's not exactly the same code..

>but I don't object to removing it.

Maybe introducing journaling and let it mature before even discussing
softdep removal is a wiser choice. So far I only hear "let's replace
softdep with the journaling code and everyone will be happy".

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost