Re: Developer board for NetBSD flash file system development

Hi Jesse,

I probably have a few other boards you could try. I can get you any board from our product line for free-- I'd really like to see a flash filesystem developed for NetBSD. In fact, I have a prototype board with a dual core 650Mhz ARM11 I just bootstrapped NetBSD support for but haven't yet commited to CVS.

It is very big help for us, if you can provide us ARM developer board(s). The exact type of it/these is almost the same for us, the bigger its NAND flash size the happiest we will - and certainly good NetBSD support.

Be aware of some of the details of the different NAND chips, there are 512b sector chips, 2k sector chips, and 4k sector chips. Each also have different erase block sizes and different requirements for ECC (MLC vs SLC, reed-solomon vs. hamming codes). My strategy lately is to just create a simple high reliability block layer and run regular old filesystems on top of it-- I'd like to hear more about your plans.
At this moment we are (almost) ready with:
- a flash layer: it is similar to MTD
- a wear-leveling layer: it is similar to UBI

We are strongly working on a JFFS2 like flash file system. Almost all directory functions work, now working on file read/write. At this moment it is based on UFS, but considering to ignore it in the future.

Cheers,
Ferenc