Re: Shrinking NetBSD - deep final distribution re-linker

ian,

1. Crunched executable is statically linked. Does it mean, that when i load
any crunched "utility" dynamicall linker loads the whole executable imageinto memory every time? I.e. it makes an own dedicated copy of code/data sections for each exec() and code sections are not shared between different processes?
If i'm right in my guess, crunchgen let me save my disk space but as the
price it heavily increases RAM usage and, most likely, time to start
executables. Specially when file system is located on relatively slow flash
media.

netbsd loads pages of an excutable into ram when they are needed. so, although your multi-call binary is quite large, only those portions associated with the command you run will be coppied to ram, and only after they are accessed.

now, to make things even more complicated (but for the better!) since the multi-call binary is a *single file*, even though you hook into different commands of the binary through different hard links. this means that read-only pages like text and read-only data will be shared among every command from the multi-call binary.

i came up with an equation a while back for the max ram usage of a crunchgened binary and it went something like this:

max ram usage = sum(0, n, STACKn + DATAn + BSSn + HEAP_SIZEn) + RODATA + TEXT

this is worst case. also note that with a multi-call binary we are saving a few pages per process that would go to dynamic linking glue - not a lot, but when n gets big it might make a difference.

for a system with swap space such considerations are not essential. however, if there is no swap space (i.e. embedded system w/o a hard drive) it might be a good idea to evaluate the above equation and adjust ram sizes accordingly (assuming your board vendor gives you options or you are spinning your own boards).

hope this helps.

best regards,
jared.