Re: Utility of PV on non-obsolete hardware

On 4 April 2019 10:07:42 PM GMT+05:30, Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> wrote:
>	Hello.  Here's a question.  Am I missing something or won't full PVHVM
>be less efficient on Xen systems where DOM0 is NetBSD since DOM0 is
>restricted to a single CPU at this time?  With multiple qemu processes
>running on DOM0, it seems like that limitation will come up real fast.
>Or,
>is there a plan to enable multiprocessor DOM0 when PVHVM is ready?  I'm
>guessing the single CPU limitation is already a problem, but I think
>this
>will make it worse.  Am I missing something?
>-thanks
>-Brian

Hi Brian,

PVHVM uses PV drivers so the qemu process will (in theory) not have much to do, whereas full HVM emulation does load the qemu process and is thus affected by the current lack of dom0 MP.

We aim to have SMP dom0 nevertheless. This is on my work queue.

Thanks,

Cherry