Re: fun with xen caps

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:11:09 +1000, Sarton O'Brien
<bsd-xen%roguewrt.org@localhost>
wrote:
> On 25/09/2009 7:15 AM, Michael Litchard wrote:
>> right now this is what xen caps looks like
>> xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p
>>
>> Do I need pae support for a x86 domU when the domO is amd64?
>> If not, how do I re-compile xen to allow the non-pae x86 xen?
>
> Yes, you do ... and from my understanding, you can't ...
>
> With an amd64 dom0 and a PV guest you will need either an amd64 domU or
> an i386-PAE domU. I don't believe these limitations apply to HVM though
> but I don't use HVM so don't quote me :)

They do not apply. You should be able to run 32bits non PAE under HVM, even
with a 64 bits OS and hypervisor.

> If you already have a NetBSD PV guest OS that is i386, your best bet
> would be to use an i386-PAE kernel and upgrade your userland.

PAE is transparent for userland, you do not need to upgrade it, only kernel
will do.

> Unfortunately when it comes to PAE and PV guests, it's all or nothing.

Unfortunately. And with Xen 3.3 and up, you do not have the choice, PAE is
the only option left for 32bits guests.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost