Re: page fault trap installing NetBSD 5.0.1

Hi Jeremy,

On 25/09/2009 3:31 AM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
Please Cc me on replies.

If this is already covered, please point me to it. I am not sure if I am
using the correct list as I don't know Xen. (I have used remotely hosted
NetBSD systems running on Xen but I never installed them.)

I am trying to install using the amd64cd-5.0.1.iso

I don't want to install a Xen server. (As you can tell, I don't know the
terminology.) There is already a Debian Linux server with Linux
2.6.26-1-xen-amd64 kernel running xenwatch, xenbus, xenrestored, xend,
xenconsoled, and many qemu-dm processes. I think that is xen-3.2-1. (It
is hosting OpenSolaris, OpenBSD, Windows, Debian, and others.)

I don't know Xen and I installed by logging into the Debian system and
running:

        lvcreate -n netbsd-5-amd64-1 -L 8G virt2

I downloaded the NetBSD amd64cd-5.0.1.iso image.

I setup a /etc/xen/vm/base/netbsd-5-amd64-1 file. If you need to see
this, let me know.

I ran:

        xm create /etc/xen/vm/base/netbsd-5-amd64-1

A qemu-dm process was started. I setup some SSH tunnels and connected to
it with vncviewer. It showed the NetBSD 5.0.1 installer. I went through
the many steps and it formatted its (virtual) wd0.

But when it got to the untar step in sysinst (extracting
kern-GENERIC.tgz), it aborted with:

kernel: page fault trap, code=0
Stopped in pid 0.4 (system) at  0xffffffff804f163e:    repe insl
%dx,%es:(%rdi)
db{0}>  bt
?() at 0xffffffff804f163e
?() at 0xffffffff804fefc7
?() at 0xffffffff802c3207
?() at 0xffffffff804e0e4d
?() at 0xffffffff80105a4f
Bad frame pointer: 0xffff800001215ac40

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this further?

Or am I doing this wrong?

(By the way, my goal is to install NetBSD/amd64 5.x so I can build some
pkgsrc packages for X11_TYPE=modular. I will be glad to share these by
uploading to the NetBSD ftp.)

Although you might be doing something wrong, it would be interesting to know if a current snapshot has the same issue. Maybe we're missing a pullup ...

Normally the first issue someone encounters with NetBSD/xen is a sparse file problem but seeing as linux is the dom0, I'm not sure if that may translate to issues within a NetBSD HVM guest. This problem would normally occur during formatting IIRC.

Sorry, I'm not much help ... it seems strange a release would panic under relatively normal operation. Hopefully it's already been addressed.

Sarton