Re: FreeBSD HVM guests?

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 04:40:55PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2009 16:15:46 +0200
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 02:50:11PM +0100, Hugo Silva wrote:
Hi,

I am considering to install NetBSD 5/Xen (64 bits) on some servers
that currently run FreeBSD 7/amd64. I've been testing NetBSD/Xen
i386 on older hardware (no hardware virtualization support) with
NetBSD PV domU's; It seems to work just fine.

For my purposes, however, I need FreeBSD guests, and I am unable to
test this at the moment.

I would like to know if anyone has useful feedback regarding HVM
guests, FreeBSD in particular, and NetBSD/Xen dom0 stability and
maturity in general.
NetBSD/Xen dom0 is stability is good; I've several servers running it,
with NetBSD PV, linux PV, linux HVM and windows HVM guests. No
problems so far.

I would expect a FreeBSD HVM guest to run just fine; it will see a
PIIX3 IDE controller and a ne2000 ethernet device. Be aware that
I/O performances won't be great using these emulated device though;
but if your FreeBSD guest doesn't do mych I/O it should be fine.

I thought FreeBSD had domU support at this point.  If I'm right,
wouldn't that help I/O performance a lot?

it would, yes. if there is a FreeBSD PV kernel it would be the
best option

It does have domU support, altough with some problems - http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/Xen

The servers I have in mind are fairly busy webservers, quad core CPUs, so much for low I/O.

In your experience, is the slowdown due to HVM unnaceptable? Out of curiosity, could the ne2000 emulated device saturate even a 100mbit link (I'm running on gigabit) ?

Too many questions and not enough hardware here.. :-)