Re: NetBSD/Xen How to - suggestions

Greg Troxel wrote:
"Sarton O'Brien" <bsd-xen%roguewrt.org@localhost> writes:

Hubert Feyrer wrote:
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Sarton O'Brien wrote:
Has anyone played with grub2?
No, but while on the subject: has anyone played with pygrub (or is
there an alternative), to not require domU kernels sit on the dom0
file system?
Being part of xentools I'd imagine there are probably only two people
on this list that could even attempt it's use :)

I'm curious of the perceived benefits ... other than manual config
changes and the consolidation of the running kernel and the domu
reference kernel ... Is the benefit mainly time saving?

To me it's broken that the domU kernel isn't taken from /netbsd in the
domU filesystem.

When i update a machine, I update kernel and user, and it would be good
for a domU to be able to do this in one operation without dom0 access,
just like a real machine.

So, I'd like to see 'xm start' be able to mount the domU vnd from a file
read-only, grab the kernel, unmount, and then boot with the kernel file
and the vnds configured normally.  But I have not liked this enough to
actually do it :-)

So I think you're right about the benefits being having the real and
reference kernel being the same, and not having to update twice, but I
think that's pretty important.

Thinking about it a bit more, I agree. The independence of the kernel and the ability to make the update process autonomous would be very beneficial. It would also make staging an update less annoying.

I'd imagine the biggest benefit would be to people hosting, as it would allow the client to do their own thing without any intervention, assuming all components are known to work prior to any modification. You'd want to document what can and can't be done.