Re: Netbsd XEN nothing I can boot in

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 08:58:43AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 02:49:53PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >
> > With a 32bit non-PAE system you can't have much more than 3GB physical
> > memory
> > anyway, because in the 4GB physical address space you have to put all what's
> > memory-mapped: RAM, BIOS roms, PCI memory-mapped space, etc ...
> > usually all of this needs about 1GB, so out of the 4GB RAM one part of it
> > (1GB) is mapped above 4GB and can't be accessed by 32bit systems.
>
> It's usually more like 200MB.

Depends on the system. On an Intel systeme here (i955x) I couln't get
less than 600M, with only display, on-bopard network and one IDE controller
active in BIOS. Enabling all SATA and PATA, and USB controllers bumps it to
more than 800M. I immagine it could be more than 1G if all PCI slots were
populated.

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost