Re: xm shutdown problem (and german translation of the NetBSD/xen-Howto)

On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 09:57:18PM +0200, Rainer Brinkmöller wrote:
> My domain0 and two further domains work fine.
> Also the network connections do what i want to (by using bridge such you
> did explain - thanks).
> Only the halt and shutdown commands makes me sleepless now
>
> If i execute the command "halt -p" in the new domains and wait till the
> last message,
> nothing happens until i press the enter button.
> Then i get this output: on the screen
>
> ************************ REMOTE CONSOLE EXITED ************************
> (54, 'Connection reset by peer')
> Error: Error connecting to xend, is xend running?
> $
>
> I press the enter key again and next i get this:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/pkg/sbin/xm", line 9, in ?
>    main.main(sys.argv)
> [...]

Yes, I get this too. This is an issue in the Xen tools.

> Now i get the command prompt i want. But also xend seem to be stop while
> the error above.

It should not. Does 'xm list' still work ?

> If  i try to execute the command "xm shutdown -H dom1" from doamin0
> nothing happen.

Do you get something on console or /var/log/message in dom1 ?

> I found your mail
> (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2005/04/18/0022.html) but i
> don't know how this can help me. What do i have to do exactly to update
> to this changes?

You need a kernel newer than 2005/04/18, add
powerd=YES
in /etc/rc.conf, and 2 scripts in /etc/powerd/scripts: power_button and
reset_button. These should be installed by the default install.