Re: install/start problem: xen 2.0 / NetBSD 2.0, 2.0.2 and 3.0 Beta

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 06:50:41PM +0200, Rainer Brinkmöller wrote:
> hello,
>
> since a few weeks i try to install xen on NetBSD 2.0, 2.0.2 and 3.0 beta.

Note that xen 2.0 is only supported in the 3.0_BETA (and current) kernels.

> The first steps seem to be passed successfully. From the grub menu i
> select the domain0 and it start.
> The steps i have done are based on the documentation at
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/xen/howto.html.
> First i did use the NetBSD versions 2.0 and 2.0.2 because i did not
> found the neccessary files for NetBSD 2.0_C4 like
> written in
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0_RC4/xen-i386/INSTALL.html.
>

> I did contact Christian Limpach because of my problem. His suggestion
> was that the MAKEDEV script i did use doesn't know
> about the xen entries, at least not when i ask for it to create the
> "xen" devices. He was right. In NetBSD 2.0 and 2.0.2 the
> MAKEDEV script really don't know about. The first time i did found the
> necessary entries unter NetBSD 3 beta.

See above

> Here is my main problem: the execution of "xend start" don't really work.
> At the /var/log/xend-debug.log i found the following entry:
> "*/etc/xen/scripts/network: not found*"

Shouldn't be a problem, it can run without this. Any others messages in
xend-debug.log and xend.log ?
Do you have /kern mounted ? Do you have a /kern/xen directory ?

> I did not wondering about because there is no xen directory under /etc
> after the port-installation of xentools 2.0.
>
> Do you have an idea what i did wrong? Or what i can do to have a bit
> more success?
>
> Here is a list of the steps i had done:
>
> > Download of the newest pkgsrc (pkgsrc.tar.gz about 26 MB)
> (It was allways a new NetBSD-Installation so i did not have the
> /usr/pkgsrc folder)
>
> > unpack the file pkgsrc.tar.gz: tar -xzvpf pkgsrc.tar.gz -C /usr
>
> > Package Collection Update.
> command: cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
> command: make install
>
> > Installation of the xentools20
> command: cd /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/xentools20
> command: make install
>
> > Installation of grub
> command: cd /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/grub
> command: make install
>
> > configuring the /grub/menu.lst nearly like the example
>
> here are my entrys (for grub and NetBSD 2.0):
> # ------------------ grub-Konfigurationsdatei für NetBSD/xen.
> ------------------
> default=0
> timeout=15
> serial --unit=0 --speed=115200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
> terminal --timeout=15 vga console
> title Xen 2.0 / NetBSD (hda0, vga)
> root(hd0,0)
> kernel (hd0,a)/xen.gz dom0_mem=131072
> module (hd0,a)/netbsd-XEN0 root=/dev/hda1 ro console=tty0
> title Xen 2.0 / NetBSD (hda0, serial)
> root(hd0,0)
> kernel (hd0,a)/xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 com1=115200,8n1
> module (hd0,a)/netbsd-XEN0 root=/dev/hda1 ro console=ttyS0
> title NetBSD 2.0
> root (hd0,a)
> kernel --type=netbsd /netbsd-PREXEN
> title NetBSD chain
> root        (hd0,0)
> chainloader +1
> ## ------------------Ende der grub-Konfigurationsdatei. ------------------
>
> > grub installation.
> command: grub-install /dev/rwd0d
>
> > Download of the XEN installation file from
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads/xen-2.0.5-install.tgz
>

> unpack the file xen.gz to my root filesystem
> command: cp xen.gz /xen.gz
>
> > Download of the NetBSD/XEN-Kernel
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/reed/NetBSD-daily/current/20050426/i386/binary/kernel/netbsd-XEN0.gz

You'd better use a newer kernel from ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/

> unpack the file netbsd-XEN0 to my root file system
> command: cp netbsd-XEN0 /netbsd-XEN0
> (under NetBSD 3 Beta i did use the xen-kernel of the distribution)

The kernel you used above is probably 3.99.x, that is, from the current
branch and not 3.0_BETA.

> > create a copy of my base netbsd kernel
> command: cp /netbsd /netbsd-PREXEN
>
> Well. The reboot was fine. The domain0 did start. There was just a
> message which said:
> "/etc/rc: WARNING: $xend is not set properly - see rc.conf(5)" a short
> time befor login prompt.
> I do not understand what i should configure in /etc/rc.conf. The entry
> powerd is set to YES.

You also need xend=YES

You have some infos in http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/xen/howto.html