Re: NetBSD and Xen 2.0

Extreme strangeness...

> On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 05:08:15PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>> Give this a spin (please try these as separate tests):
>>
>> 1) Remove "options NTP" from your NetBSD/xen kernel config files.
>>
>> 2) Try adding "options HZ=50" to your NetBSD/xen kernel config files
>>    (in addition to removing "options NTP").
>>
>> 3) If neither of those do any good, leave both the above changes in
>>    place and try applying this patch:

okay, at work again, playing around with VMware in my idle time :) I included
change 1) and 2) and voila - works. After restoring the original state
again... it also works. veeeery strange.
But... here i compiled without CPU optimization. So, i included this
-mcpu=pentium3 here also. Strange. Also works. With my precompiled kernel from
home, it doesn't work. The only difference: At home i use CVS checkout with
tag netbsd-2-0-RELEASE, here i use the official syssrc.tgz as i again forgot
to bring my CVS repository here.

Besides the fact that i have a good start at the moment, i have another
strange issue to track down. I'll verify my kernel src at home with syssrc.tgz
tonight, and i hope to find some reason for all this funny stuff. Really
strange...

Another issue: As i run in vmware here, i don't need to wait for the CPU
getting hot, like at home. Here i see vmware sucking 100% CPU when NetBSD/xen
is running. This is not the case when Linux runs in Xen, so some idle handling
seems a bit strange. I think i should read locore.S any try to understand the
"CPU interactions" here to track this down.

Another thing: How do you boot Xen 2.0 with NetBSD?

I tried with and without xen12load (trying to boot in domain0), using xen.gz
from 2.01 Xen install tarball, and just get something about not an ELF image
(xen12load) or some xen related symbol not found (directly putting netbsd
kernel as image). Did i oversee something here?

Anyways, i have to play with Xen 1.2 now :)

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX