Re: CMD MSCP SCSI problems? (again?)

On 2023-02-01 20:55, Anders Magnusson wrote:
On 2023-02-01 20:34, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 2/1/23 14:10, Johnny Billquist wrote:
  I've just finished installing NetBSD 9.3 on a VAX 4000-705A using a CMD CQD-220 MSCP SCSI host adapter.  I put them install disk image on a ZuluSCSI board, it booted and ran the installer just fine, but when trying to boot the newly-created system disk (also implemented via the ZuluSCSI SSD) it fails to find the controller and thus cannot mount its filesystems.

  I remember something like this from probably twenty years ago, but I thought it was long since fixed.

  The disk subsystem works fine; I installed VMS on it this morning via the same mechanism and it's rock solid.

  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Do the kernel have the correct csr address for the MSCP card? Which address do the card have? Can you post the dmesg output for both the install kernel and the non-working kernel?

Seems likely the hardware is configured right, if VMS is happy.

   Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's configured correctly.

I have some vague memory that with enough memory, controllers didn't get detected. How much memory do the 4000-705A have?

   It has 128MB.

Yeah. That rings bells for me. I think with MSCP I noticed failures with more than 64MB. I think it is even visible using simh.
How do you reproduce that?
I just checked, no failure.

[...]

I was sure I saw it before, but when I tried now, it was fine...

What version were you running Dave? I have 9.0 stable, built in 2020 here, which don't have a problem, but I am sure something earlier did not work.

  Johnny