Re: Bountysource campaign for gcc-vax

> Slightly tricky.  Usualy I would suggest a native build of the new
> gcc on the VAX, but as we know this will not work.

Not naïvely, no.  But....

Would it work to use the compiler from, say, 1.x or 2.x or something,
on an otherwise recent system, to build the new compiler (but nothing
else)?  My experience with binary compatability is that it's good
enough it might be worth trying.

Alternatively, is the cross-version build support good enough that it
would be worth taking a full install from two or three decades ago -
1.x, 2.x, some version on which VAX can self-host - putting a modern
/usr/src somewhere alternative, and doing a build?  It's been a very
long time since I cared about cross-version builds, so I don't know.
(I've done cross-port builds often enough, but rarely/never
cross-version builds, though admittedly even cross-port builds not
since 5.2.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign