Re: Address of second TMSCP controller

On 2021-01-30 16:13, Anders Magnusson wrote:
Den 2021-01-29 kl. 16:50, skrev David Brownlee:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 14:17, Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm
<Mark%infocomm.com@localhost> wrote:
[... floating address assignment discussion ...]

VMS essentially requires that this algorithm is used to assign device addresses.

The complete details of this process are implemented in the simh VAX and PDP11
Simulators in the routine auto_config in module PDP11/pdp11_io_lib.c.
A distinctly lesser cut at this is implemented in the simtools repository config11/config11.c
module.

Given the decades of legacy behavior where device addresses are explicitly declared in BSD configurations, it would seem quite late in the day to think about changing
how things have always worked for BSD.
Things are always changing, and busses behave differently - even
nominally the same bus (I2C) can have to have device probe and
attachment handled differently depending on differences in hardware
implementation.

I think it would be reasonable for the uba bus in NetBSD to have an
option to follow floating address assignment rules when probing for
devices - it could probe for any defined devices without explicit csr
addresses using the floating algorithm, and then try to attach any
devices with csrs as a second pass.

Of course, this is all assuming someone wanted to write the code :-p
IIRC we had a discussion about this quite some time ago.  It should be rather straightforward to do it.
Don't remember where it ended up though.

I also remember we had the discussion, and I can't really remember the conclusion either.

However, just thinking about it right now, I sortof do not think it's that useful.

For that, you should then essentially have a config that lists every device with wildcarding. And whenever people change any hardware configuration, all CSRs will have to be checked, and possibly a bunch changed.

Would that be very useful?

Well, of course, you don't actually need to have every controller listed with wildcarding in the config. You'd need to consider this autoprobing then, and trying to match up against what is configured. Still have the whole issue of any hardware change requiring CSR check and update.

Don't we also have something similar with MSCP? Or can we actually say ra* on mscpbus? unit * or something similar? Or don't we need to put a few more details in?
Alternatively:
ra0 on mscpbus? unit 0
and so on, but then you might end up with quite a few entries in there, since we should atleast cover something like 16 units.

  Johnny