Re: Address of second TMSCP controller

On 2021-01-28 23:11, Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm wrote:
On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 12:27 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
RSX basically do explicit address assignment, and only use autoconfiguration
in one explicit place in the SYSGEN process, to find out what hardware is
installed on your system, to provide some default answers for the SYSGEN
process itself. It's not used at any other time.

I think RSTS/E made more use of the probing at runtime. Not sure about RT-
11.

And how you probe the I/O space is almost as the description above, but not
quite. But if someone wants to, we could go over how it is done.

VMS essentially requires that this algorithm is used to assign device addresses.

Definitely not. It is convenient to use that algorithm, but if/when you attach devices in SYSGEN in VMS, you can explicitly give the CSR as well. Not hard at all.

The complete details of this process are implemented in the simh VAX and PDP11
Simulators in the routine auto_config in module PDP11/pdp11_io_lib.c.
A distinctly lesser cut at this is implemented in the simtools repository config11/config11.c
module.

Which can be useful, but which have also confused people.

Given the decades of legacy behavior where device addresses are explicitly declared
in BSD configurations, it would seem quite late in the day to think about changing
how things have always worked for BSD.

Yeah. I do not expect that this will change in any BSD. And there is certainly also an argument to be made against this scheme.

It's a misery if you ever want to add some hardware, since you have to potentially change the settings on a bunch of boards you have in the machine. Not something that is ever fun.
Admittedly, that is much less a problem in a simulated environment.

  Johnny