Re: Partitioning during installation

On Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 08:59:21PM -0600, Andrew Ball wrote:
>     I was installing from the official 9.1 ISO with TERM set to xterm
> and using urxvt on the physical host. It feels more like a calculation
> thing than curses.

OK, that is what I initially thought, but I need more details how to
reproduce.

>   MH> Seems to be properly rounded (668 * 73 * 13 = 633932)

I got those by having simh create the image for me and checking
the geometry from within the emulated vax afterwards. Those are the
numbers sysinst gets also when the image does not previously exist.

>     I thought perhaps I had misunderstood the geometry of an RA92 but
> the service manual suggests it's 3,099 user cylinders of 14 heads, 73
> sectors per track.  I increased the size of my blank disk image to
> 3,101 cylinders but sysinst still changes the size of / to a large
> strange number.  It's happy for me to put in 128 cylinders for /,
> 513 cylinders for swap but when I enter a number for /usr, that's
> when the proposed size of / gets changed.

Can you give me the exact size of the RA92 image you used when you get
the wrong numbers plus script(1) output from the full install that goes
wrong for you with the 9.1 ISO off list, please?

I'm pretty sure I just did not do some of the exact steps you did to make
the problem show up. If I can reproduce it locally, it will be easy to
fix.

Thanks!

Martin