Re: Bountysource campaign for gcc-vax

> I don't understand why so many is so dismissive here.  All I wanted
> to do is help you with GCC for VAX and I'm getting back a lot of
> criticism because of something that could be avoided by just using
> Github or Google for authentication.

(1) I haven't seen nearly as much criticism directed at you as I have
at bountysource.  Maybe I've been missing part of the thread.

(2) Not everyone _can_ "just [use] Github or Google" for
authentication; not everyone who can is willing to risk it to something
that sets off their "scam!" flags.  And that's even assuming that doing
so would work as well for them as it (apparently) does for you.

Even if it's _not_ an outright scam (one non-scam campaign does not a
trustworthy organization make), it sounds as though it's badly run,
badly enough that the risk that its authentication and authorization
database has been, or will be, compromised is even higher than it is
for most organizations (and that latter is already uncomfortably high
to some, such as me).

> I fully agree that the performance of the Bountysource website sucks.
> But it's currently the only crowd-funding website that's known to
> work well and trustable.

Based on what I've seen here, it _doesn't_ work very well for some
people.  But then, it _is_ another instance of the "the Web is a
suitable interface for anyone to anything" disease....

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign