Re: NetBSD/vax compiler bounty?

On 2020-04-20 19:22, Mouse wrote:
An educated guess for the peak RAM usage of a native build would be
512MB RAM, this only matters if you can't add swap because you hit a
virtual address space limit.

It also matters if you want your build to complete in days instead of
months.  Swap is not a panacea.

Most of the time, it's not an I/O bound problem to start with, so paging isn't really that much of an issue. gcc is just plain slow. It takes forever even if you have no paging at all.

And I build (cross compiled) current a few days ago, and things are currently really bad. After whacking various startup scripts around, I get it to boot up, but it panics as soon as I telnet to the machine.
At the moment, it really has become pretty useless. :-(

  Johnny