Re: NetBSD/vax compiler bounty?

Den 2020-04-20 kl. 19:11, skrev maya%NetBSD.org@localhost:
On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 09:22:52AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
On Apr 16, 2020, at 9:18 AM, emanuel stiebler <emu%e-bbes.com@localhost> wrote:

Any idea, how long it actually takes, to compile gcc on a vax?
I don't think it's possible anymore due to memory consumption by the compiler.  That said, GCC doesn't self-host on a lot of targets (mainly the microcontroller ones), so I don't think this is a big deal.  We should focus on making a modern cross-vax-gcc work correctly.  As far as the test suite goes, perhaps a way to remotely execute the generated binaries (on a real machine or in a simulator) that need to run to ensure the compiler generated the correct code is the way to go... maybe the GCC test suite already supports that, even.

An educated guess for the peak RAM usage of a native build would be
512MB RAM, this only matters if you can't add swap because you hit a
virtual address space limit.

Actually, P0 is 1G, and I would expect that if more virtual memory is needed it could be allocated from P1 (although quite unorthodox...)
Max virtual memory (for userspace) on a vax is 2G.

-- R