Re: NetBSD/vax compiler bounty?

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 11:38:49AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> Just wondering  if people would be interested in contributing to a
> bounty for fixing gcc/VAX issues?

What is needed is something like:

 - write a wiki page (or similar) how to easily install NetBSD 9.0 on simh
   and test binaries there
 - file an upstream ticket for the (required) MODE_CC transition of
   the vax backend
 - test a native upstream gcc (w/o NetBSD or pkgsrc modifications) on that
   setup, report any fallout in upstream bug reports (test = run the gcc
   test suite?)
 - try to make (native unpatched upstream) gcc to build itself and file
   more tickets for failures

Then attach a bounty to each of the tickets (or the total of it), point
to the wiki page and try to find volunteers to work on it.

The first item is simple, the second could be done mostly via cross compiling.
But I think the expected end result should be that gcc can compile itself
natively on VAX, which hasn't been true for upstream gcc for more than a
decade (I guess), and for the patched version in our sources since gcc 4.8
(at least).

Martin