Re: NetBSD/vax

Den 2020-03-19 kl. 07:41, skrev Erno Palonheimo:
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 01:03:19PM +0200, Erno Palonheimo wrote:
On 2020-03-17 12:50, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 10:47:28AM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
The system can be installed, and get to run, but it probably
require some
manual work.
I think fixed all low memory issues in the install media some years
ago, but of course new issues might have come up and went unnoticed.
Back then booting from CD and installing worked on a 3100 with 24 MB
(my only currently available test machine has 128 MB and I have no
spare
SCSI disks any more to test installations - but of course we can
test in
SIMH).
FWIW, I had 8.0 running (slowly) on a MicroVAX 3100m30 with 24
megabytes of memory. I netbooted the installer and it worked just
fine. I might reinstall NetBSD on the machine in coming weeks and
can report how it goes.
So yesterday I did this. Installer ran its course fine but the system
would not boot - kernel hangs right after bootloader messages, before
the kernel itself prints anything out. Then I remembered this same
thing happened with 8.0 and I actually fixed it, but apparently my
patch was never incorporated and thus I need to build a custom kernel
for it to actually boot. Back then, Ragge asked me to send him a diff
so he could commit it, which I did, but looks like it was forgotten.

Yes, correct!  I put it aside because I wanted to test something, but then
I forgot it.  I'll take a look at it again this weekend.

-- R