Re: NetBSD/vax

On 2020-03-17 08:41, Anders Magnusson wrote:
Morning,

Den 2020-03-16 kl. 11:31, skrev Rod Smallwood:
With the upcoming demise of VMS/VAX I thought I might give NetBSD/vax a try.

Downloading a bootable image and burning it onto a CD was not a problem.

On the 3100 with attached RRD42 and SCSI drive RZ26l the CD duly booted
ito the NetBSD install menu.

All of versions 7,8 and 9. failed after partitioning at the point where
the system is copied to the hard disk.

Has anybody successfuly installed NetBSD on a VAX.  If which version on
which VAX
I've installed (at least -8, if not -9) on my 4000/90.  About 2 years ago I fixed a bug which
prevented 3100/38 to use the SCSI disk, but that fix should be in -9.

What error do you get?  It is supposed to work, so I may have to fire up an old machine if it's not working.

I can't remember myself, but I think there are some issues with the standard installation tools.

The system can be installed, and get to run, but it probably require some manual work.

Also, NetBSD/vax cannot build itself. But I assume Ragge already knows this. And there might be issues building a lot of other software as well. At this time, I'd say it is somewhat questionable how useful the VAX port is for a random user. :-(

But yes, I have (more or less) current running on a 4000/90.

  Johnny