Re: Help about installing NetBSD on a VAXstation 4000/90 (Cougar)

On 05/03/2018 11:19 AM, Silas wrote:
>>  Well, if you want to try the hardware repair route, I have a friend in
>> Brazil who I'm sure can handle it, he is brilliant, and he has a strong
>> appreciation for vintage computing too.  He lives in Sao Paulo...I know
>> Brazil is a big country, but shipping to him would be a lot cheaper than
>> shipping to me no matter how far away you may be from there. ;)  Let me
>> know if you'd like me to put you in touch with him.
>
> Oh please!!!  I live in a neighbour city which is just 20 km away from
> São Paulo :-) Can you send me a private e-mail with his contact
> information?

  Oh good, it is good that you are close.  He is a great guy.  I will
ask him for his permission to share his email address.

>>  Yes, that might be easier.  My only worry for that approach is that
>> the switch may be read by the firmware and it may do something to lock
>> the system into that mode that the kernel cannot un-do.  I don't really
>> know how that switch is read, or by what code.
>
> I thought about that but OpenBSD prints to console in this machine...
> Because of that I thought that there must be a way to circumvent the S3
> switch.  This is, though, beyond the scope of this list, since I just
> cannot ask for support for a faulty computer.  Thank you, guys!

  Hmmmm ok, yes, that is good logic.

  I don't think anyone will mind such discussion, although it is
technically off-topic.  We are all like-minded people here, joined by
common interests, and the signal/noise ratio on this list is very high.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA