Re: Trying to boot Vaxstation using mopd

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 6:58 PM, Greg Stark <stark%mit.edu@localhost> wrote:
> Either might work.  I can try objcopying the netbsd.vax kernel to a.out
> format but I suspect it would be more likely to work if I could get mop
> image of the modern bootloader that understands elf kernels.

Fwiw, no, objcopying the netbsd.vax kernel isn't going to work unless
I build an objcopy that support VAX NetBSD file formats. The native
Linux objcopy only supports a set of binary formats that doesn't
include either Vax a.out or Vax ELF. And since I'm a bit skeptical
that such a converted binary would actually boot I'm not about to
embark on that project.

I might install NetBSD on a spare machine here and try to run mopcopy
but I'm concerned even that might not work on a different
architecture. If someone has a NetBSD machine handy can you run
mopcopy on the boot image from
http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-7.0.1/vax/installation/netboot/
and mail me the result?

--