Re: VAXstation 4000 TURBOchannel not working

On 23 March 2016 at 19:55, Felix Deichmann <m4j0rd0m0%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Am 23.03.2016 um 18:55 schrieb David Brownlee:
>>>
>>> You probably don't need to probe for the TC adapter itself as scanning
>>> the TC space behind it the usual way for a ROM signature should just do,
>>> and you need to do this anyway to know what's there.  An empty adapter
>>> does not really buy you anything.
>>

>> Entirely cosmetic, but Its nice to see in a dmesg if its there :)
>

> True, and it only means reading a single bit in a register...
>
> My fiddling yielded the following patches (attached) so far to finally get the VS4000 to recognize my PMAD-AA. Yes needs clean-up. I did not test it extensively yet (interrupts etc.)...
> The PMAD-AA is quite simple and one of the early TC options ("proto" ROM space), no DMA or to be correct: only DMA to the option SRAM, not to system memory.
>
> dmesg excerpt:
>
> [...]
> tc0 at vsbus0 csr 0x36000000 vec 514 ipl 15 maskbit 2: 12.5 MHz clock
> le1 at tc0 slot 0 offset 0x0: address 08:00:2b:xx:xx:xx
> le1: 32 receive buffers, 8 transmit buffers
> [...]

Very nice!

> The kernel panics when I try to map the complete TC address space for the option (64 MB!) *and* the TC SGMAP ("vax_map_physmem: kernel map full"). It seems to barely work when I skip the SGMAP, which is not needed right now. Furthermore the info I found from Roger Ivie suggests that the VS4000/60 cannot DMA over TC reliably at all, while the /90 can. But there are still enough options performing nicely without DMA.
> Is it possible to increase the VAX kernel map, or what to do here?
>
> For "tc at vsbus" to match correctly, a fake interrupt vector seemed to be necessary (sc_mask and scb_fake()). I stole this from spx.c, but what would be the right way to do it (and which vector to choose)?
>
> I also filed kern/50849 some time ago concerning a too strict option ROM header check (included in the patches).
>
> Now as a last point, if someone would be willing to send me a spare DMA-capable TC option (SCSI probably), I would also try to get this supported.

Looks like eBay has PMAZC-AA (SCSI) and PMAGB-B (FB) for not
completely insane monies:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEC-PMAZC-AA-54-21833-03-Turbochannel-Dual-SCSI-Module-for-AXP3000-DEC3000-/261763236076?hash=item3cf24e00ec:g:un8AAOSw8d9U1PBo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEC-PMAGB-B-TURBOCHANNEL-8-PLANE-SMART-FRAME-BUFFER-GRAPHICS-54-21143-/251507110200?hash=item3a8efdf138:g:f4wAAOSwPYZU5haa

DEC PMAGB-B TURBOCHANNEL 8-PLANE SMART FRAME BUFFER GRAPHICS 54-21143

Also I think I have a spare DECSystem 3100 (pmax) around here if you
would like a little box on which to poke at the TURBOchannel cards via
a different architecture :-p