Re: Larger memory option for VAXstations

On 2015-08-19 18:08, emanuel stiebler wrote:
On 2015-08-19 09:11, Johnny Billquist wrote:

But you like to keep all your old drives too, right?
So not knowing, what nemonix really did, they probably just plugged in a
second SCSI controller into the system with something like 53c875,
and wrote additional drivers to access it ...

Hmm. I don't think Nemonix required any changes to the system, so I
would be surprised by a new driver. That said, it might just work like
the standard SCSI controller, so the standard driver would work.
And wide/fast SCSI can still deal with old/slow drives on the bus, so I
don't think you actually need a second controller. That could be the
only one and you could be happy. But I'm just making guesses.

How do you make SCSI faster (5 vs 10MHz) without changing the chip?
(max speed on the 53c94 is 5MHz in sync or async mode)

I didn't mean to imply they didn't change the chip. But that do not mean it can't be backwards compatible from a software point of view.

	Johnny