Re: Small MicroVAX IIs - what version? - was Re: NetBSD/vax current

On 19/04/14 4:19 PM, David Brownlee wrote:
There have been a lot of comments regarding modern NetBSD being much
slower on slow hardware compared to older versions. Your point that
there is a lot more functionality is absolutely valid, but presented
as something of: "Thats It... Just Move On".

For someone who just wants to run a passable *nix to play with on a
slow VAX,

That's why I started the thread, yes.

> finds the latest NetBSD too slow, the question: "So what
older version would be fast enough for me", could be perfectly
reasonable, and only takes someone with a uVAXII and some spare time
to run some timings and generate a list.

I might get organised to do some comparisons on my 9MB MVII, as I wrote earlier, it currently netboots 1.4.1 and runs that quite well.

I definitely agree that that current state of recurring unhappy email
threads regarding modern NetBSD performance on VAX is helping noone.

At the moment I don't have any fact or opinion to say that 1.5+ is not going to work well on my MicroVAXes, I was just asking for information from people who might have some.

--Toby