Re: NetBSD/vax current

On 19 April 2014 07:27, Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost> wrote:
> On 2014-04-18 19:07, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>> Right, so, this points out something which seems obvious to me but perhaps
>> it's not: *Of course* it takes longer, because the workload is not at all
>> the same.
>
> Ayup. 30 seconds from entering username until I get a password prompt is
> clearly asking the system to do much more today than in the past, so
> obviously it is just as expected, and nothing to even talk about.

The system now processes through all the PAM infrastructure, which
provides a bunch of additional functionality. Whether that
functionality is worthwhile is certainly a valid discussion.

It makes heavy use of shared objects, which I believe is also a
significant performance hit on current VAX.

It would be interesting to see what profiling might report for a login sequence.

The sun2 port builds with NOPIC= so everything is static linked. It
would also be nice to compare the performance for a NOPIC= build of
NetBSD/vax (I'm just started a netbsd-6 static vax build to see if it
completes, but I don't really have an ideal machine on which to test)