microvax II 3300 dead ethernet

Hi,
I have a microvax II 3300 which I usually netboot. When powering it up
today, netboot failed and it seems that the MVII doesn't send any
packet to the network (tcpdump on the MOP server, and on another box
on the same ethernet, doesn't see anything from the vax). I checked cables
and tried both the thin ethernet and AUI ports, both are silent.

Could it be a software issue (some setting in the microvax II firmware
than have been lost while powered down) or is it really a hardware issue ?
There is no unusual messages on the serial console when it is powered up ...