Re: microvax II 3300 dead ethernet

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 06:26:55PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a microvax II 3300 which I usually netboot. When powering it up
> today, netboot failed and it seems that the MVII doesn't send any
> packet to the network (tcpdump on the MOP server, and on another box
> on the same ethernet, doesn't see anything from the vax). I checked cables
> and tried both the thin ethernet and AUI ports, both are silent.
>
> Could it be a software issue (some setting in the microvax II firmware
> than have been lost while powered down) or is it really a hardware issue ?
> There is no unusual messages on the serial console when it is powered up ...

For the record: I removed the bezel that has the ethernet ports, and the
2 boards behind it. A battery back behind the bezel had leaked on a part
of the PCB that is probably related to the ethernet interface.
After cleaning up the PCBs and connectors, the AUI port is working again.
The vax can power up without problems with the battery pack unplugged,
so I won't remplace it.