Re: VAXstation 4000/90 help

On Mon, 2010-11-29 11:51:25 +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw
<jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-11-28 16:49:46 +0000, John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost>
> wrote:
> > I'd love to find a working 4000/90 or 4000/96 for bulk package builds.
> > Just getting a bulk build started takes about a month on a 4000/60!
>
> I just looked into the basement...
>
> 1x 4000/96
> 3x 4000/90A
> 4x 4000/90
> 2x 4000/60
>
> (And a good stack of other machines, but I guess these are the most
> interesting boxes speed-wise.)

Seems this was misonderstood by a lot of people. I am *not* to give
the machines away physically, they're also not to be scrapped.

I worked hard to get me a nice collection of different VAX models (and
some speedy boxes, too) to be a build farm for Debian The Other Day.
Right now, Linux isn't that far (and it's still a *very* long way), so
my offer is:  I am willing to let these machines run and eg. give
NetBSD a home to build packages.

Caveats:
  * I only have RFC1918 addresses and (as a regular DSL user) get a
    different public IP address every day. (Though I'm a DynDNS user,
    so there's a stable name.)
  * Once the machines are set-up, I'd provide a ssh hopper box (along
    with serial access) and/or IP port forwarding on high ports to the
    NetBSD machines.
  * Bandwidth is limited (it always is!), but traffic is flat.
  * If they're spinning for more that a day every now and then, it
    would be nice to get some bucks for electricity.
  * As these machines don't have a lot (if at all) HDD space, I'd
    probably provide NFS.

One person asked for (one of) the machines to do graphic hacking. If
anybody is interested to /lend/ a box for a specific project and for
limited time, I'd do that, too. But in the long term, I'd like to
/keep/ those machines, not to /scrap/ them.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost
+49-172-7608481