Re: more on proff crash building native

Johnny Billquist wrote:
Anders Magnusson wrote:
Johnny Billquist wrote:
Brad Parker wrote:
"David Brownlee" wrote:
Whats next on the list, bootblocks? :)
sort of :-)  full install from tape.  seems very broken right now for
11/7xx.
Considering the fact that the 11/7xx machines never supported booting
from tape in the first place, that's no surprise. :-)

That's not true.  The 11/750 had boot proms to boot from up to four
different devices.  TU58 was always one, and I had one machine that
could boot from TU45.

Well, the TU58 don't count. It might look like a tape to the eye, but it behaves like a disk. Just a *very* slow disk. :-) But if you had bootproms to boot from a massbus tape, that's interesting. But I remember that the 11/750 was different than the 11/78x machines anyway. The 11/750 actually used a boot block, since it didn't have VMB around anywhere.
The 11/750 just had some routines in rom so that the boot blocks could load stage2 independent
of from which media it was booted.

Note that the boot roms had support for different devices depending on how the machine was equipped when it was bought. The only boot code that was always present was TU58.

-- Ragge

I still have MtXinu manuals around, which lists the boot program you have to enter at the console in order to boot these machines from a tape.

    Johnny