Re: more on proff crash building native

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Anders Magnusson wrote:

Michael L. Hitch wrote:

  It seems that ssh corrupts inbound data.  It's been mentioned a couple
of times on port-vax.  I had seen it quite some time ago when trying to
run a cvs update, but wasn't aware at the time it was an ssh problem
instead of hardware/network.  Running the ssh on the remote system
(inbound through sshd instead of ssh) seems to work, as well as non-ssh
transfers.  Again, I've been collecting information on that problem and
will be submitting another PR.  I hit this again when trying to copy a
test kernel and didn't realize that was the problem for a while.

This unfortunate bug has been around since ~forever :-(  Even really long
time ago (> 10 years) this bug would hit me when for example trying to do
"cvs co" or "cvs update"; suddenly cvs would bail out complaining about
protocol error.   Because of this I usually use rsh instead (also the
encryption is not too fast on VAXen).

Hm, maybe it is some vax-tailored code in the encryption routines that
is incorrect?  Would be an good place to start hunting.

        Has anyone confirmed it is inbound only - sending lots of data
        from the vax never hits the issue? Also, does it have the
        same issue via loopback?

        I suspect there could be some issue at a lower level which
        ssh's crc is picking up. Quit a while back I had to diagnose
        an issue with mozilla having issues downloading mailboxes.
        Turned out to be an ISDN box which would fixup any invalid
        checksums on inbound data when performing NAT. Vile piece of
        electronic money offal.

        Anyway - the epiphany came when ssh aborted with a CRC error...