Re: more on proff crash building native

Michael L. Hitch wrote:

>   It seems that ssh corrupts inbound data.  It's been mentioned a couple
> of times on port-vax.  I had seen it quite some time ago when trying to
> run a cvs update, but wasn't aware at the time it was an ssh problem
> instead of hardware/network.  Running the ssh on the remote system
> (inbound through sshd instead of ssh) seems to work, as well as non-ssh
> transfers.  Again, I've been collecting information on that problem and
> will be submitting another PR.  I hit this again when trying to copy a
> test kernel and didn't realize that was the problem for a while.

This unfortunate bug has been around since ~forever :-(  Even really long
time ago (> 10 years) this bug would hit me when for example trying to do
"cvs co" or "cvs update"; suddenly cvs would bail out complaining about
protocol error.   Because of this I usually use rsh instead (also the
encryption is not too fast on VAXen).

Hm, maybe it is some vax-tailored code in the encryption routines that
is incorrect?  Would be an good place to start hunting.

Anyway, I'll buy a cage of beer to the one that fixes this bug :-)

-- Ragge