Re: netbsd on vax 11/730; booting in sim

Christos Zoulas wrote:
In article <49674CB9.4050107%ludd.ltu.se@localhost>,
Anders Magnusson  <ragge%ludd.ltu.se@localhost> wrote:
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:55:21PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Just noticed another "step back", that I hadn't seen until now.

NetBSD moved away quite a long time ago from needing to reboot if fsck needed to fix the root partition. That's something that was done back in the dark ages with 4.3...
But 5.0 have reintroduced this "feature".
Uh ? Where did you get this idea ? None of my 5.0 systems reboot after
fsck.

Actually, if fsck does exit 4 the system reboots, and it has done so ~forever.
But by some for me unknown reason fsck has started doing exit 4 if it must
correct something.  I think this might have come with the journaling patches.

It happened to me also (as a bug surprise) yesterday when I was testing stuff
on a 5.0 beta system :-)

No, it happened when I fixed fsck to actually propagate the error codes
properly. What is happening, is that MNT_UPDATE fails on the root filesystem,
after the changes have been made and now we correctly reboot, instead of
ignoring the error as before. Now as to why MNT_UPDATE fails, I have not
clue because I have not really tried to debug it.

Hmm. I'm pretty sure it was actually fsck that just said it needed a reboot since the root file system was modified. I don't think it ever came to mount.

        Johnny